03 February 2006

A Travelling Man's Sandals (Mandals?)

Here is a picture of the improbably used and unfortunately broken sandals that carried me around South East Asia for six whole months.

It is a memorial photo taken early this year when, god have mercy on me, I threw them out. I needed to. They were broken and only of sentimental value. And I had to move flats in London on the Tube and Bus. *Sigh*

They were amazing really. Hard wearing, comfortable and best-of-all well ventilated and un-smelly. And they just about had enough grip to get over even the most goat trodden tracks they call roads and paths round those parts.

But they couldn't to it without help. They were designed in the western world and sadly Heat (SEAsia's strongman) decided that Glue (Western's cheap fix it tool) was no match for it. And like Rock/Paper/Scissors - Heat always beats Glue.

Fortunately Heat is no match for cheap labour and the skilled, artisan-like, mr fix-its that travellers to places like Indonesia can easily afford. The upshot was that whenever they broke they were fixed. And some of the fix-it work is amazing. I mean if you look close you can also see why I got to calling them Frankensandals! Those stitches.

So here's to you my Mandals!

--
This blog post has been brought to you by Picasa and Blogger. It was in no way influenced by alcohol. It was however written under the influence of a heady rush of excitement brought on by achieving broadband internet access at home. Go the net! Posted by Picasa

No comments: