28 June 2007

The News

I don't have anything more cool to report than this.
"And the crazy lady said yes."
Go Mr and Mrs Trees, King and Queen (of France), God and Goddess!

That said, I will also bore you with some of the details of my life!

Travel:

Have recently returned from a diving trip to Gozo, the



See I was diving! While I was underwater I saw some cool stuff including:



and



(Thanks Arna for the great pics)

We are of to Paris this weekend, sadly not for King Leon's marriage. Never been to Paris. Travel is cool.

Biking:

Have been biking like mad recently Purchased a bike very similar to this one (but with nasty touring front suspension), and have been thrashing it to and from work as a commuting option that a) saves me £8.20 per day if I ride both ways b) gets me fit c) gives me a reason to go to work and a) saves me £8.20! Did I mention that already?

Thus far I've ridden 240miles to work and back, saving a total of £50.40. That is about 20% of the value of the bike. I've lost about 3kgs in about three weeks and have gotten to a point where the time it takes me (approx. 1hr 30mins) is beatable. I managed a 1hr 22mins ride this morning (fastest ride between home and work so far) without really pushing hard. My next goal is to push this towards 1hr 15mins and still maintain the ability to walk and stay awake for a full work day afterwards. Energy levels seem to be recovering with a pita bread and jam before and after, and a bunch of food throughout the day! I'm eating LOTS, but it is still tons cheaper than £8.20 per day!

Made an interesting discovery that climbing shoes make good cycling shoes - light and sturdy (my current climbing shoes are too big for climbing, so this is now a good use for them). Am also too cheap to buy proper cycling shorts so my bum is feeling it.

The ride is pretty cool, 20 miles of almost-sealed 'single track' along the Lea river. I have seen three deer, lots of rabbits and almost got a pigeon as roadkill on Monday! Main problem is that the track is bumpy and has lots of puddles that a) in the recent wet weather make for a very dirty ride and b) will make the route impossible during winter. At that stage I'll have to commute along the road, which after the recent traffic free experiences I've been having, will be a hardship. Still £8.20 per day...

No comments: