23 March 2006

the will to live...

...is always improved with a good cup of coffee.  I'm currently stuck on Indo style coffee.  No, not coffee from Indonesia, just their low-tech way of preparing it.  In a nut shell (or should that be a bean casing) you take a generous scoop of coffee, add it to your cup or mug, pour on hot water, stir add sugar/milk to taste and drink.  Yes, you drink a fair amount of grinds with each cup (this can be limited by careful preparation and settling time etc.) but I like the way that it is a completely NO-nonsense way of making a cup of java joe.  It is instant, there is no faffing around with plungers or espresso makers and best of all it gets you wired quick and painlessly.  There is time to sit back after and think - yeah man, life is good!

...is also directly related to your will to learn.  You stop one, the other will stop.  This is my law, and in recent days I've not been the best practitioner.  So new challenge time.  Learn to programme.  Had a rousing chat with a friend and C++ is the 'where for' and 'what to' learn.  Fuck me.  Big challenge.

Wish me luck, cause while I'm willing, I ain't confident...

--

main()
{
work god damn it;
work;
}


--

And in amongst all this I got to get a job, money, read the three books I've got on the go, learn Blackbird on the G-tar (again) and ...

Who said the life of the unemployed wasn't stressful?  But hey, I'm willing to live it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In a quirk of history, "to program" (in the context of computers) is always spelled in American.

C++ is an interesting first-language choice. I would have thought that Java (or something similarly popular) would have been more obvious. Or even PHP or python -- something where you could get results fairly quickly.

The way that CompSci gets taught at Vic, at least in first year, is to give the students the shell of the program, and have them insert the missing bits. This lets them concentrate on the bit they want to learn, while having the rest of the program to look at if they're interested.

(Indeed, I'd say that one of the easiest and best ways to learn to program is to have a working, clean program, and tinkering with it. Understanding someone else's program is often as much or more brain-work as writing your own, but with a decent manual and some patience you can see what they're doing, and why; and then you can slowly graduate from changing text, to changing layouts, to changing behaviours...)