04 August 2023

Kuching

After diving we travelled to KK airport and jumped on a plane to Kuching for three nights in Sarawak's big city. 

Malaysian Borneo has two main states Sabah and Sarawak, with Brunei nestled in the middle and Indonesian Kalimantan taking up the read of the world third largest island!

My main memory about Sarawak was pepper because a Malaysian ex co-worker gifted me a small container of Sarawak pepper after a trip of his back home to Malaysia.

Anyway as it turns out that was enough of a memory to make me reach out and make contact and I'm so glad I did. Immediately on arrival Kuching gave off an exciting and exotic vibe, this is what I will remember as my first vision of Kuching!
So starting off really well it only got better with a few 'local' tips pointing us towards a really good mix of activities and fantastic food.

Standout was Borneo Cultures Museum - great, modern museum which entertained whole family for a decent chunk of a day. Here's a dog and a hat from one of the displays that I took fancy to:
And I ate so well chasing down some dishes suggested as 'must try'. Here's a collage:
We also had time to head to the Bako National Park and saw a proboscis monkey up real close, as well as a family of silver leaf langurs including orange furred babies (too cute), a small boar, and sea eagles swooping (on the boat trip) but mainly the outing was a valuable walk (I even used Strava) in quite a lot of HEAT. Didn't take enough water, lesson to be learned there.
Life is pretty good. Kids are dealing with the heat OK and we are all settled in on the take things as they come. We took the bus, and it came, on the way back from Bako. First bus photo. 

There will be more!

I'm on the plane on route to Thailand. This will publish when we arrive. I'm pretty sad to have left Malaysia. I really liked Borneo and already want to re-visit.

No comments: