15 July 2023

Singapore

We made it to Singapore and have had a hot and humid time of it. Writing this in the downtime between Singapore and Borneo (I'm actually in Kuala Lumpur airport!).

Top photo is the iconic sculpture trees in Singapore's Gardens by the Bay. Currently this is my fav photo taken so far; kinda arty and actually in focus. My phone camera is having issues with focusing so I'm really only taking photos "to remind me" in case they come out a bit blurry. This photo came out great despite intent to remind me of my LEGO Singapore!

Being in Singapore means access to fruit and veg and deliciousness that at times would cost >$100/kg back in NZ. This photo will remind me of that abundance even at Singapore supermarket prices.

Kids/family has travelled pretty well together. No major issues so far. I'm not feeling great. Hope it passes soon enough.

Food in Singapore has been great. Lots of Indian eaten and parata (paratha/roti) however you say it is the most delicious. Arthur really took to it and happily ate it for breakfast, snack, lunch, and dinner! 

This photo isn't of our local but it will help me be reminded of how the food went down in Singapore. A real bonus of traveling with the kids is seeing them do things out of my own comfort zone and getting to try new things.


We had a place down the road from where we were staying that was our 'local' for the trip. Thoroughly recommend Al Bidayah Restaurant for anyone staying nearby. 

Speaking of down the road, we were staying in a red light district. Could have been eye opening but actually presented in totally a matter-of-fact way that was more intriguing than confronting. 

I have no idea how it all works, but kept wondering how it all worked. I'm still thinking about it. Each business seemed to be in a distinct house which seems expensive in terms of real estate. Each had older Chinese Singaporean men as a kind of front of house and each had a frosted door leading into a lobby where women could occasionally be seen sitting on chairs awaiting clients. I guess I didn't really see it late at night, but over the time we stayed there I couldn't tell if anyone was frequenting these businesses, no idea of the demographic being catered to, or how much money was needed by the participants to make it all worth doing... So yeah, the area made an impact.

Anyway enough about that. I think I started this with a comment about it being hot and humid. I'll end it with the best way to beat that particular problem.

No comments: